12-year-old facing manslaughter charges in Dorval shooting

Marc Lalonde
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Teen entered plea of 'not guilty' Tuesday afternoon in youth court

The 12-year-old Dorval boy who allegedly killed his brother with a gunshot to the head last week will face manslaughter charges – as well as other, lesser charges -- after prosecutors determined the shooting was not an accident. The boy was arraigned Wednesday in youth court, where he will face a maximum penalty of three years in detention, because of his age.

Prosecutor Marie-Claude Bourassa said the case was a sad one, but the evidence suggests they are warranted.

"For now, we have enough evidence to lay these charges," said Crown prosecutor Marie-Claude Bourassa. "Let's remind ourselves that he is a 12-year-old. We're not trying to make a point. This is a very sad case, but the evidence is sufficient to lay these charges."

The boy entered a plea of not guilty in youth court Tuesday.

The incident occurred Monday at about 5:30 p.m. The boy and his 16-year-old brother were alone in their home on Hamilton Place in Dorval when the 16-year-old was shot in the head.

The 12-year-old was questioned overnight on Monday and was held in detention until his appearance in court Tuesday. The boy is facing charges of manslaughter and unlawful use of a firearm.

Geographic location: Dorval, Hamilton Place

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments